Flooding and Water Damage
Serious water damage can occur from many sources: burst pipes, fire sprinkler activation, clogged drains, broken skylights and windows, construction projects, major rainstorms, water main breaks, or loss of power to sump pumps.
If a water leak occurs:
- Call Maintenance Customer Service at (650) 723-2281 and give the following information:
- Your name
- Telephone number
- Location of the leak (building, floor, room number, etc.)
- Severity of the leak
- Indicate whether any people or equipment are involved or are in imminent danger
- If you know the source of the water and are confident of your ability to stop it (unclog the drain, turn off the water, etc.), do so cautiously
- If there are electrical appliances or outlets near the leak, avoid contact
- If there is any possible danger, evacuate the area
- If you can do so safely:
- Secure vital equipment, records, and hazardous materials by moving them to higher, safer ground
- Shut off all non-essential electrical equipment
- Locate those persons with special needs, and provide assistance if possible. Otherwise, provide their location to emergency responders.
- Consult the Evacuation Procedures section of this booklet for additional information
- Do not return to the building until instructed to do so by Public Safety or Maintenance Customer Service
Note: Call Maintenance Customer Service at (650) 723-2281 for assistance with flood clean-up.